11.10.2009

Saturday Night's all right

Kates and I got around to watching last weekend’s Saturday Night Live last night, which is a record turnaround for this season. Considering the bad buzz and awfulness of the episodes this season, it’s taken us at least a week to watch other episodes …

But finally -- finally! -- we got an SNL over the weekend that had more than one or two sketches worth watching. And a host we actually cared to see (Megan Fox!? Gerard Butler!? Seriously!?) … Taylor Swift turned in a fine appearance last weekend, and I'd like to think that was only a warm-up for another great one next weekend -- Mad Men’s January Jones will host and the Black Eyed Peas will perform. Aw yeah!

I have to admit, I've gained a newfound respect for Taylor during the last few months, with the catchiness of her recent hits, the success of her album, and the whole run-in with Kanye at the MTV music awards.

But the thing that put me over the top – dare I admit this – was Taylor's Oprah appearance a few weeks ago ... I was flipping through the TV channels one day when I stumbled on it and caught this 11-year-old girl, who happened to be a huge fan of Taylor's, and Oprah hooked her up for an exclusive interview with the country star. I was charmed by how sweet Taylor was with the young interviewer, and I was equally taken by Taylor's openness and wit and the drive she showed during her conversation with Oprah. For all her success and the attention she garners, it appears it's hardly changed her from her roots as a simple country girl. (And by the way, this surprise for a pair of twin girls was classic! ...)

Saturday night’s SNL wasn’t great from top to bottom, but it did have some good moments that, at the very least, brought out a smile -- from the opening sketch lampooning Fox News’ insanely right-wing views on last week’s not-so-important election, to the “Roomies” sketch that had Swift and Nasim Pedrad playing a pair of roommates who cuddled and loved each other more than Pedrad's character did with her own boyfriend …

I loved that Taylor showed off some strong acting chops and that she held nothing back, doing excellent impressions of Kate Gosselin and Shakira

Best of all was her hilarious and adorable “Monologue” song – which I was repeating the rest of the night (“ … In my Mono-logue … La la la …” ), and her public service announcement for T.R.A.A.A.P.D. (That’s Teens Raising Awareness About Awful Parents Drivers).





Apart from Taylor, I was quite pleased to see the return of Nicholas Fehn – my favorite “Weekend Update” character – even though his bit was hardly memorable. And better yet was Seth Myers’ introduction of another “Really!?! With Seth & Amy” segment, which gave way to Amy Poehler’s surprise appearance / return to the “Weekend Update” desk. …

Here’s what EW’s Ken Tucker had to say ...

No comments: