6.21.2009

Game 5: Happy Father's Day

My Father's Day began this morning with my eyes opening around 8:30 and the sight of Kates carrying a tray of breakfast to me in bed, with Phoebe shuffling and giggling into the bedroom behind her ... It was priceless.

I got to enjoy a breakfast in bed, while watching the sports channels... Then, I joined Kates and Pheebs in the living room as we read, watched more TV and Phoebe played...

It was the perfect start to the morning -- especially after the drama of the storms on Thursday and Friday nights ... With more tornado warnings, damaging thunderstorms and flash floods sweeping through the area Friday night, we resorted to spending the night in the basement...

When we awoke on Saturday, the house was still standing, so I guess that was good ... But some parts of our basement carpeting were considerably damp, leaving us to spend much of Saturday drying the place out.

As we talked to friends and neighbors, though, we decided we're some of the lucky ones. With the deluge of rain we got over the course of the two nights, it would be a feat for anyone who didn't have water in their basements. ... News stories have reported streets and properties that were so flooded, the water was crashing through basement windows. And the photo on the front page of the newspaper today shows a county highway that is completely washed out, its pavement suspended over a 5-foot hole like a bridge ...

Today's weather is muggy and humid. The kind where the weight of the air makes you feel like a sponge ...

Perfect weather for playing baseball ...

* * *

Another game, another win today. A solid team effort. A 11-8 win …

Though we did almost give it away at the end. We went into the eighth inning carrying a 10-3 win and let five runs score, making the score 10-8. We tacked on one more in the top of the ninth, and then tried to hold on in the ninth … They loaded the bases and brought the winning run to the plate with no outs, but our pitcher got out of it with two strikeouts and a ground out to save the game.

After my troubles the last few weeks -- troubles only to me, really, because I put so much pressure on myself to perform -- I was moved down in the order to the seventh spot. I also was positioned in right field for the second straight week. … Immediately after learning my spot, though, the pressure of leading off was gone. I could study the pitcher for a few at-bats and feel comfortable in my first at-bat.

They got on the board and quickly put us down, 0-3. But we came back in our half of the second, batted around in the order and crossed seven …

In my first at bat, I came to the plate with runners on first and third and one out. I quickly got ahead 2-0 on a couple of low pitches, and then took a strike right down the middle. Then, I swung and missed a curve -- typical -- for a 2-2 count … So now the pitcher’s got me thinking, Great, he saw how badly I looked on that pitch, and now he knows I can’t hit the curve. I gotta be ready if he brings it again …

I started telling myself, sit back and wait on it, sit back and wait on it, and watched for the next pitch …

It was a fastball. Letters-high. It looked good. I swung … And connected solidly. The ball shot through the middle of the field for a line drive into center field. One run scored; the other runner reached third …

It was as clean of a hit as I’ve had thus far, and it felt really good. So good that I swore I heard The Natural theme music as I rounded first base. Seriously.

So now I had my hit for the day. I was psyched and really into the game…

After watching a couple pitches at first base, I realized the pitcher was hardly paying attention to me. I figured, There’s a runner on third base, there’s one out, second base is wide open for my taking … On the 3-1 pitch, I took off and slid in safely. Stolen base. … I scored a couple pitches later.

We had our chances during the ensuing innings but failed to get anything across … I reached base again in the fourth inning on a fielder’s choice and reached third base on a couple passed balls, but didn’t score.

In my last at-bat in the seventh, I popped up to the pitcher. Ugh … But I got another chance on the base paths that same inning when I had to pinch-run for our catcher who was planted on first base (Under our league rules, if the catcher is on base with two outs, the last batter to record an out can pinch-run for the catcher). … With two outs, the batter launched one to left field, and I was off at the crack of the bat. By the time I hit third base, I was flying. I scored standing up … Man did that base-run feel good.

Getting the win felt good, too.

No comments: