10.02.2008

Baseball time is here

... Oh, this is a good day.

October 1. The air is cool and crisp. The sky is cloud-covered. It felt as though it could snow at any moment today.

... I got a look today at perhaps one of the coolest, most fun museum exhibits I've ever seen. "Act/React" at the Milwaukee Art Museum. Stay tuned for a full review ...

... And the baseball post season is under way.

Predictions?

In the National League, I'm taking the Cubs over the Dodgers in five and the Phillies over the Brewers in four ... Although I'm reserving the right to be unsurprised if the Dodgers and Brewers knock off either team. The underdogs are riding some decent momentum into the post season (See: last year's Colorado Rockies) and frankly, I think the Dodgers are quite underrated.

In the American League, I'm taking the Angels over the Red Sox and the Devil Rays over the White Sox, both in four games. Contrary to the N.L., I will be surprised if either Sox team wins their series.

In the World Series, I say the Angels over the Cubs in six games ... Believe me, I hate saying that -- but the Angels are appearing almost unflappable.

Let's get on with it.

1:59 p.m. -- We flip on 620 AM to catch the start of the Brewers-Phillies game. Chills ran down my spine hearing Bob Uecker read the Brewers starting lineup, something he hasn't done for a postseason game since 1982.

3:23 p.m. -- I return to the office and load Gameday on my computer to keep tabs on the rest of the Brewers game.

4:40 p.m. -- Half of our office is crowded around the TV, and holding our breaths, as Prince Fielder, representing the tying run for the Brewers, bats in the bottom of the ninth ... He struck out and all of us retreated slowly and quietly to our desks. The Brewers lost, 3-1.

5:40 p.m. -- I arrive home and sit down to watch the Dodgers-Cubs game. Even better, I get to have Phoebe at my side ... I'm expecting a lot of memorable moments this postseason, but seeing the Cubs and Dodgers playing postseason baseball at Wrigley might be among the most beautiful ... The commentators are talking about how subdued the Wrigley crowd is tonight, like they're just waiting for something to go wrong. This is a Cubs game after all.

6:10 p.m. -- Mark DeRosa has hit a two-run home run to give the Cubs a lead ... I had to make it a pretty subdued celebration since Phoebe was sitting on my lap.

6:37 p.m. -- We're finally eating supper. Grilled ham and cheese with tomato soup. Mmm mmm good.

6:53 p.m. -- I have to step away from the TV. Phoebe's getting fussy and Kates and I have to get her ready for bed. Plus the sheets on her bed need to be changed ... Doh! ... And then it's my duty to clean up the kitchen ... Double doh!

7:12 p.m. -- I decided to take break from watching dishes -- just in time to see James Loney's grand slam. Yep, something has gone wrong.

7:32 p.m. -- I just realized we're missing the "Pushing Daisies" premiere and I forgot to set the DVR. Dang. We'll have to catch it online.

7:37 p.m. -- I've seen enough. I drag myself back to watching dishes.

7:46 p.m. -- I take another break to watch Jim Edmonds bat in the sixth inning. He grounds out but advances Aramis Ramirez from second to third ... It doesn't matter, Dodgers get out of the inning.

7:53 p.m. -- Manny Ramirez just hit a home run ... I'm feeling really conflicted about this.

8:13 p.m. -- Finally my night time chores are finished, and I'm free to watch baseball without interruption.

8:49 p.m. -- Believe it or not the Cubs are down one game to the Dodgers. They lost, 7-2. The commentators just noted it's the Cubs seventh straight loss in the post season. Bartman!

9:06 p.m. -- We’re underway in Anaheim, where it’s 83 degrees … Sweet sunshine, it’d be good to be there right now …

10:46 p.m. -- Jason Bay just crushed a two-run home run for the Red Sox ... Finally some action in this Red Sox-Angels game.

12:06 a.m. -- The Red Sox are tacking on runs in the ninth and the Angels are as good as done. This game is over ... Can I change my earlier prediction that the Red Sox didn't have a chance in this series?

Here's some good reads for the post season ...

a It’s been a long time comin’
a With the Cubs and Sox in the playoffs, it'll be tough to be neutral
a Chicago vs. Chicago?
a Live from (ad-filled) Wrigley Field
a 5 Cubs with Series rings know about playoff pressure-cooker
a Cubs fans lead Series pain parade, but others suffer, too
a For Red Sox owner Henry, the joy comes daily
a After Yankees' 'insult,' Torre in a golden state with Dodgers
a Hey, Chicago, whaddaya say, let's fix 'Go Cubs Go' today ... I'm not totally agreeing with this, but he raises some good points.
a Fan embraces spud as chance to break curse
a Did the Cubs ever have a live mascot?

No comments: