5.14.2008

Idol chatter

The EW review of last night's Idol show put the climate of the night splendidly ... But I'll give you my take too ...

David Archuleta got to sing Billy Joel’s “And So It Goes,” one of our favorite Billy Joel songs (I believe it was also sung at my high school graduation … Can anyone confirm that?). And when he finished, I had to agree with Simon -- it was slightly predictable. Plus, every time he performs he does that thing where he raises his out-stretched arm in front of him, palm up, like he’s holding a glass ball. It’s annoying and distracting.

As for his take on Chris Brown’s “With You.” … Didn’t like it. It’s not him. But I liked Simon’s description better: “It was like a Chihuahua trying to be tiger.” … ‘Lil David also got a great, great song pick in Dan Fogelberg's “Longer” but it too was on the predictable side. I think David slipped this week.

The other David, Mr. Cook, had it all in a bag and tied with a bow after his performance of Roberta Flack’s “The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face.” Though David didn’t exactly seem too pleased with it, I've gotta say the moment he learned it was going to be his song, I thought, ‘Oh, wow, he’s gonna nail that one,’ and I was hearing him singing it in my head before he even touched the first note. His take on it was clearly my favorite performance of the night, and I was a little surprised the judges gave him only a lukewarm reception. If that song didn’t make the girls swoon …

But then Mr. Cook went and ruined Switchfoot’s “Dare You to Move.” … And Aerosmith’s “I Don’t Wanna Miss a Thing” ? The strings were a nice touch, and it was kind of cool. But it’s too big of a song and David’s version was predictable.

Then there was happy, go-lucky Syesha, who I’m starting to believe might have some real underdog clout. Think about it – with Melinda Doolittle and Lakisha Jones, no one saw Jordin Sparks rising to the top last year

Syesha had to sing Alicia Keys “If I Ain't Got You” … I liked it a lot, and I wouldn’t be surprised if somehow she managed to beat out ‘Lil David this week. From the pure joy on her face during the Keys number, to her dance around the chair on “Fever,” she was exuding more personality and fun last night than she’s shown all season … Her take on Gia Farrell’s “Hit Me Up” (an artist or song I’d never heard before, but apparently it’s on the “Happy Feet” soundtrack) was pretty decent, too.

Other bloggers have written about it. And last night I noticed it more than ever -- Syesha’s performances were pretty darn good in my eyes, and the judges had nary a good word to say for her. Meanwhile the Davids got fist pumps and free passes to the finals, which only Cook’s first performance deserved. Randy was the worst offender last night, constantly telling Archuleta he was in the zone when he was clearly out of pitch.

Syesha, overall, was the winner of the night. She performed songs from three different genres. She added choreography to “Fever,” and didn’t just stand in place singing some contrived, predictable version of a song some producer chose hoping she would fall and set up the David vs. David finale.

In other interesting 'Idol' news ...
a David Archuleta's father banned from ''Idol''
a 'American Idol' Banter: Who are they really?

No comments: