8.19.2007

There's no breaks in baseball

I’m about baseball’d out …

Let’s review: Royals-Blue Jays game last Friday. Brewers-Cardinals game on Tuesday. The Cubs-Cardinals game Friday afternoon and the Brewers-Reds game that night, not to mention playing my game on Thursday night …

For the record, that's four Major League games in eight days. Three different cities and ballparks. Six different teams. One division pennant race.

Yesterday, on a lazy and so perfect rainy Saturday, I listened to the entire Cubs game on the radio (God, I love Ron Santo and Pat Hughes. They make it all worth it… rain delays and all. And I erupted with the Wrigley faithful when Daryle Ward popped that grand slam to put the Cubs solidly ahead).

Then, I had the Brewers game on the TV in the background last night while I did some work, though the Brewers -- for the first time this week, about time -- had the game well enough in hand, that I didn’t pay too close attention …

This morning, I was supposed to play again, but with the rain falling pretty much non-stop from about 6 o’clock last night to about 3 o’clock this morning, I knew there was no way we’d be playing. Sure enough, I got woken up at 8:45 this morning with that phone call telling me all games had been canceled …Now the sun is shining.

And with that I flipped on the DVR, to watch the broadcast of Tuesday night’s Brewers game and the whole 1982 anniversary bash. Pretty cool. Did I mention we were there?

At about 11 o’clock, Kates, was calling me. I’d dropped her off at her parent's house after the game on Friday night, and she’s spent the weekend there cleaning/moving her stuff out of her old room …And guess where she is this afternoon with her parents and some relatives? The Brewers game … The only reason I wasn’t there with her was because, as I said, I was scheduled to play today … And that brings me to the reason Kates was calling -- they had scrounged another ticket to the game this afternoon and she was calling to invite me up …

Sigh. I couldn’t do it. I actually groaned -- me, groaned! -- at the thought of making the drive to Miller Park for another baseball game …

So here I sit, watching it on TV inside my nice, comfy home …

Then tonight, the Cubs-Cardinals game is on Sunday night baseball. Guaranteed I’ll be watching that one too …

Then, maybe I’ll take a break for a few days …

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

We’ve got a pennant race to watch, folks

No comments: