3.24.2007

Bookin' for summer

Kates and I booked our first date for Summerfest date this morning ...

It was a no-brainer, really. July 3. Marcus Amphitheater. Ben Folds. John Mayer. And some guy named Brett Dennen.

Through my teens and before growing into such a connoisseur of concerts, I used to have a rule about paying no more than like $30 for a concert. Then that figure was pushed to $40 ... Yeah, that rule has gone waaaaaay by the wayside in the last year or two ...

Tickets for this show were $65.50 or $55.50 under the overhang, $43 for bleachers or $30.50 for lawn seating ... As content as I would have been with a lawn seat, I had to think about how important it was to have an enjoyable time at this show. Bleacher seats would be uncomfortable and there's always a chance of rain on at least a couple days of Summerfest. We've been caught in that situation a couple times and I would hate to be caught with a lawn seat at the Marcus on a stormy night ...

And I had to consider all of this in the three or so minutes Ticketmaster gives you to decipher those obscure security codes, punch in your mailing information and complete your purchase...

Oh, and don't even get me started on those stuuuuuupid, exorbitant, inconvenient convenience fees ... This time I even got charged for a building fee. A building fee?! I'm not building anything! The building is built!

The final total for two tickets? $132.30.

Ugh.

But when you adore Ben's music as much as I do, you just do it ...

When I broke the news to Kates about the final total this morning, she smiled and said simply, "Good thing I love you ... "

No comments: