2.11.2007

Goodnight Grammys!

My thoughts on tonight’s Grammy’s as the events unfolded … As usual, uncut and off the top of my head …

… Ah, The Police … man, did they sound (and look!) good!! It’s as if they never broke up!! … Their performance of “Roxanne” was A-mazing, but I would’ve much rather preferred a mind-blowing medley that opened with “Roxanne,” then a blend into “Message In A Bottle,” and from there “Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic” and then end it a with a bang on “Every Breath You Take.”

… The first award: Best Pop Compilation -- “For Once In My Life” (Tony Bennett & Stevie Wonder), “One” (Mary J. Blige & U2), “Always On Your Side” (Sheryl Crow & Sting), “Promiscuous” (Nelly Furtado & Timbaland), “Hips Don't Lie” (Shakira & Wyclef Jean) … Holy cow, this category is loaded!!! ….. All five of these are top-notch and deserving. But I was kind of rooting for the winner: Stevie Wonder & Tony Bennett …

… The Dixie Chicks!! What a performance!!!! … Holy cow, Natalie’s a brunette!! And she looks good!

… Hey, there’s Prince again. He’s been everywhere lately … Wasn’t he always a recluse??

… I’m so over Beyonce.

… I’ve even more over Justin Timberlake.

Ok, his performance was good -- except for that whole holding-a-camera-in-his-face thing… Was he really playing the piano??

… Stevie Wonder couldn’t have given a better introduction -- overjoyed!? I’ll say!! -- Corrine Bailey Rae/John Legend/John Mayer … wow. … Surely Corrine could’ve done the crowd better by performing “Put Your Records On” over “Like A Star.” … ooh, I like the Corrine’s and Mayer’s backing vocals to Legend’s lead … Seriously, Mayer?? “Gravity”?? … What’s with this slow stuff?? This is the Grammys!! Let’s have some excitement!! … I’m disappointed. But hey, Mayer can play that guitar!!

NICE!!!!!!! John Mayer just won for best Pop Album!!! … I thought for sure that one was going home with Justin Timberlake …

Seriously. Can Shakira do anything but shake her hips?? I’m so over her too …

It’s always good to see Burt Bacharach …

Yes. The Dixie Chicks won Song of the Year. I’m smiling from ear to ear. You go girls.

Hey! It’s Allyson Hannigan and Cobie Smulders!! … They’re so great!!

… Ok. Not at all liking Gnarls Barkley’s mash-up Army march version of “Crazy.” … But hey, that’s a sweet set with the band and background singers.

… I don’t care who gets to sing with Justin. I’m not voting’ …

… Wow. Mary J. Blige just gave the performance of her life … that was good stuff.

… The Dixie Chicks just won for best country album … Natalie’s “Simpsons” quote was shrewd and so HA-larious. Yep, a whole bunch of people probably just rolled their eyes and turned off their TVs …

… Rascal Flatts -- nice take on “Hotel California” … But seriously. Do they ever perform any original material?

Here we go best new artist!!! … CARRIE UNDERWOOD!?!?!?! … “This is absolutely unbelievable,” she says … I’LL SAY!!!!!!! (can you hear me groaning !?!?)

Smokie and Lionel might be getting older, but they can still do some smooth singin’ …

Chris Brown. Christina Aguilera. Yawn ... I’m starting to lose interest here.

Mary J. is performing again?? … She was great the first time, but did we really need to see her anymore tonight … this show’s really dragging now …

James Blunt’s performance was nice …

This girl singing with Justin Timberlake isn’t bad. I had my doubts about this whole “My Grammy Moment” thing, but the girl is holding her own, and gosh darn it, she’s having fun …

The Dixie Chicks won again!! Record of the Year!! Man. Good for them.

... Here we go with Album of the Year ... (I can’t believe Scarlett Johanssen is recording an album…. Seriously!?!) … The Dixie Chicks AGAIN!! … Wow. You gotta love ’em.

No comments: