11.25.2006

Puzzles, movies & music

Kates and I arrived at my parents’ place this afternoon to spend the rest of the Thanksgiving weekend with them …

Now Kates and Mom are at my future cousin-in-law's wedding shower …

Dad is at work …

And that leaves me here, with the house all to myself, blogging as I listen to my beloved Bearcats on the Internet in a D-II football playoff game

* * *

It wouldn’t be a Thanksgiving without a couple jigsaw puzzles on the dining table …

The first one, a 500-piece, came out not long after we arrived at the family farm Wednesday and we finished it much later that night. Then, of course, we laid low Thursday, instead spending time with family and sharing a Thanksgiving dinner …

But on Friday morning, while Kates and her mom started in on their Christmas baking, and Kates’ father read a book in the living room -- I couldn’t keep from starting another one (jigsaw puzzles for me are a terrible addiction I can’t seem to shake …). Another 500-piece, I finished it within a few hours …

* * *

It also wouldn’t be a weekend at the farm without a lot of movies …

On Wednesday night, though my concentration was mostly on our puzzle, we loaded up “Syriana” …

The cast is stellar -- George Clooney, Matt Damon, Amanda Peet -- and all the buzz I’ve heard about this film says this it is a political film you’ve got to see …

But I didn’t get it.

Usually I like the movies that are crammed with multiple storylines working at the same time. But this one was almost too busy, too convoluted and too abstract for me. And the storylines never came together for me …

Luckily that was a one-time sentiment as the weekend-watching continued …

On Friday afternoon, after finishing my jigsaw puzzle, we put in “Lake House,” starring Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock

Contrary to “Syriana,” everything I’d heard about “Lake House” was that it was a forgettable film. So my expectations were low going in …

Sort of like “Vanilla Sky” meets “Frequency” (two of my favorite movies of all-time) with a hint of “You‘ve Got Mail,” Kate moves from her lake house to a new flat in the city and Alex becomes the new owner. But when the two begin corresponding by mail, they don’t realize Alex is living in 2004 and Kate is living in 2006 … As they discover the mystery, Kate and Alex fall in love via their snail mail and yearn to meet -- even though 2004 Kate is in a serious relationship and has no clue about 2004 Alex. So Kate begins to write about memories she has from 2004 and instructs Alex to try meeting her at various places in 2004 …

The plot, obviously, is complete fantasy, but it was hard not to get wrapped up in the hope Kate and Alex share. The ending is a good one. The chemistry is great. And the cinematography and shots of the Chicago skyline and architectural icons is superb …Good flick.

Then before the credits could roll too far on “Lake House,” I was sticking in “Something’s Gotta Give” …

Now this is one Kates’ father adores, owns, talks about all the time and has watched multiple times … Me? I’d seen parts of it but it never really interested me. I thought it was time to sit down and watch it once and for all …

Turns out, it was pretty darn good. The chemistry between the actors (nice to see you again Amanda Peet and Keanu Reeves) was great! The screenplay was full of wit and good fun -- and it works … definitely recommended.

Finally, with some quick Thanksgiving leftovers for supper, we sat down for one more -- this time it was one I hadn’t heard of -- “An Unfinished Life.”

Funny how the ones you didn’t know about often turn out to be the best ones …

In this one, Jean Gilkyson (Jennifer Lopez) tries to escape from her abusive boyfriend and moves with her daughter Griff to live with Einar (Robert Redford), Jean’s mysterious father-in-law, on his Wyoming ranch. But Einar isn’t so happy to see Jean because he still blames her for the death of his son in a car crash several years earlier. In fact, he doesn’t even know he has a granddaughter.

Making things more interesting -- and comical -- is that Einar is caring for his friend Mitch (Morgan Freeman), who is haunted by a bear attack.

The heart of this film is watching Einar’s slow transition from a man who’s cold and cruel to Jean and his daughter to a man who’s forgiving and willing to do whatever it takes to help them. Eventually, Jean’s abusive boyfriend does find her and it’s up to Einar to protect the girls …

Aside from the heartfelt storyline, the banter between Einar and Mitch is well-played and their chemistry is one of the highlights of the film -- like two baseball coaches shooting the breeze in the dugout. Just as good was Becca Gardner, a scene-stealer as the tough and curious Griff. And I gotta say I was pleasantly surprised by how good Jennifer Lopez’s performance was …

Admittedly, the ending did fall a little flat, and we never really get answers about this bear that attacked Mitch and plays such a major part of the film -- but this is such a brilliantly-done film overall, I can get over its shortcomings …

* * *

So I got to hear the Dixie Chicks new album for the first time yesterday morning. Kates’ parents have it and they popped it in the kitchen CD player …

Wow. Wow. Wow.

Top to bottom, start to finish, I think it’s the Chicks best album yet.

“Not Ready To Make Nice” surely deserves all the radio play it’s getting right now for its great sound and heartfelt lyrics, but it’s hardly the best track on this album.

One of my favorites has to be the catchy lead track, “The Long Way Around.” And the comforting second track, “Easy Silence” is right up there too. I love the lyrics of “Bitter End” and the up tempo feisty-ness of “Lubbock Or Leave It.” And it all ends with the splendid Gospel sound of “I Hope.”

Great, great, great album.

No comments: