10.14.2006

Still roarin' !!

... I've been making a practice of it this entire postseason, so why not try it again today ...

... Kates was busy this afternoon with errands, so I kept the homefires burning, doing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen, and doing the laundry. With all the chores, I knew I wasn't going to be able to pay attention to the Tigers-A's game, so I set the DVR to begin recording the game ...

A little after 5 o' clock -- 90 minutes after the first pitch had been thrown at Comerica Park -- I started watching the game from the beginning. Fast-forwarding through the commercials, I watched as the A's quickly took their 3-0 lead. And then the Tigers crawled back to make the score 3-2 and Magglio Ordonez tied it at 3 in the sixth with a solo shot ...

... Then we watched. And waited. The game still going, and still chasing real time by fast-forwarding through the commercials, Kates and I sat down for dinner (salmon cakes, perogies and salads). We watched the teams go scoreless in the seventh and eighth ...

While the A's were going down scoreless in the top of the 9th, Kates joked that we should click on the remote's "live" button to see if the game was still going. But I wasn't taking that chance, in anticipation of catching one of those oh-so-unforgettable postseason moments. I knew all the Tigers needed was one run and it was over ...

The bottom of the ninth came. One out, two out. Craig Monroe singled, Placido Polanco singled. And then Ordonez came up and ...

Oh my, my.

The moment he connected with the ball, I shot up from my rocking chair, hands in the air and screaming. There was no doubt about it ...

As the ball sailed over the left field wall, the players and Detroit crowd went crazy. Kates burst out in laughter. And I was speechless with, yes, of course, as usual, the happy tears slowly starting to stream down my cheeks ...

... We finished the game at about 7:30 p.m. DVR time, about 45 minutes after the game had actually ended. But it was just as sweet no matter what time it was ...

Go Tigers.

Good Tigers reads ...
a NY Times: Tigers Clean Up Behind Ordóñez
a Tiger mania crosses Canada
a Brooms Anyone? Tigers fans call for sweep
a Tigers fans revel in World Series berth
a Tigers help Detroit revamp its image

And while I'm surfing for baseball news ...
a Hall to recognize O'Neil's legacy ... It's unfortunate it took his death to make it happen, but thanks, Hall of Fame.
a Piniella could be Cubs' skipper choice ... Ugh. I still think Joe Girardi or Bruce Bochy, or even Bob Brenly would be better choices. But I'm not running the Cubs ...

No comments: