4.01.2006

Opening day!

So many questions ... so few answers. It wouldn't be opening day otherwise -- which by the way, I agree, should be a national holiday ...

(insert 'Baseball Tonight' theme music here...)

If you want predictions (go here ... or keep reading ...), not much has changed since I wrote this lengthy post last fall ... The teams I'd like to do some good remain the same. Add to that, the Blue Jays are looking pretty good after their offseason ... But you won't see me pulling for the Mets or Yankees one iota. I have little sympathy for teams that display their power in terms of finances, without any sense of team chemistry, style or motivation. Aside from their NL championship in 2000, the Mets busts have been the laughing stock of the league, from Mo Vaughn to Kaz Matsui, and the Yankees have done a good job of following in their underachiving footsteps the last few years ... here's hoping it continues.

Bottom line? I'm a baseball fan. Pure and simple. Sure I cheer my heart out for the Cubs, but I'll cheer harder for plain, old, good baseball in its truest form ...

So you'll see me pulling for the Marlins to stay in Florida, Jim Leyland to turn around the Tigers, Leo Mazzone to help the Orioles back to respectability, as well as a combination of young players and veteran coaches bringing the Brewers back to respectability ...

... and of course the Cubs playing deep into the post season ... Sure, the Cubbies face a lot of questions this year, but what team doesn't? Looking at them on paper, and with the additions of Juan Pierre, Jacque Jones and Wade Miller, I'm more optimistic for this season than I've been in years ...

You'll also see me begging for Bud Selig to be more proactive -- for once (even though I see this whole investigation of steroids as totally a PR move -- baseball had the knowledge and should have done it years! ago ... and that's while ignoring the whole 'greenies' issue too...) ... And I'll be hoping Barry Bonds blows out his knee, forcing him to give up on baseball for good and preserving the records that mean something ...

Want more on Bonds and the'investigation'? Have at it ...
a Humor: Bonds Demands Drug Tests for Media
a Jim Litke: Selig Can't Really Get Bonds
a Bernie Lincicome: Inquiry to bring shame but it won't ruin game
a Tracy Ringolsby: Bonds tops the watch list this season
a Gene Collier: Don't be surprised if Bonds is called out for steroid use
a Patrick Reusse: More fish to fry than only Bonds
a Tim Dahlberg: Bonds finds another reason to sue

No comments: