3.04.2006

The week that was ...

Here comes the weekend .... yes!

Last night Kates and I, with our friends Liz and Emily took to Marquette University to see the great funnyman Mo Rocca ... A huge fan of VH1's quirky, pop culture-filled 'I Love the ...' series, yes, this was one of those dream-come-true/once-in-a-lifetime experiences I cherish ....

Mo is currently on a tour of the country's college campuses to profess his knowledge of 'The Gamekillers ' -- the 14 types of men, who prevent 'innocent young males' from 'locking down some tail.' (You can read more on the official Web site or the preview story from the 'Marquette Tribune')

The show was comical, but -- with me and my groupies being in committed relationships -- probably not as entertaining as it was to the whoopin' and hollerin' Marquette coeds surrounding us. Heck, we all just wanted to see Mo. And the highlight, of course, was Liz and I getting to shake hands with Mo and chat him up a little bit afterward. Nice guy.

* * *
Ok, so I've been on a big Coldplay kick this week. Part of it's likely my introspective mood the last several days. Part of it's stemming from a preview I wrote earlier this week for a show coming here in a couple weeks. Part of it's me in mourning the unseized opportunity to get tickets to that show (not to mention, a Ben Folds show in the area next weekend ...could've been my ninth meeting with B.F., but Coldplay would've been a first ...). Not to mention, Coldplay seemed to be everywhere I turned this week. The aforementioned preview story. In my car. The 'Fix You' video I plopped on the sidebar of this site. And on this week's episode of 'Scrubs.' ... OK, so most of it was my doing ...

* * *
Speaking of Coldplay, my boss officially put the ke-bosh this week on me listening to my iPod as I worked. I tried arguing that I only used it for a couple hours a day, mostly to help me keep my concentration and write stories, among all the other distractions, and that it wasn't bothering anyone else ... he didn't see it that way.

Dang it.

... it was a good run while it lasted.

* * *
The other night I joined a new affiliate of the adult men's baseball league. Finally!

So sick of the hotheads, beer monkeys and can't-get-over-the-fact-they're-not-major-leaguers guys that fill the city softball leagues, another guy stepped up to the plate and is forming teams in our city ...

I read a story in the morning paper about the league, went to the organizational meeting that night and signed up -- it's gonna make my summer. Games start in May and will be played every Sunday.

Finally, a bunch of guys who share the same passion as me and I can play with on a consistant basis ...

Now I just have to get myself in shape ...

* * *
So I DVR'd the first games of the World Baseball Classic early Friday morning and then watched some of them in my free time yesterday and today ...

The games were good. But it was more entertaining to listen to the American broadcasters repeatedly saying names like Young Soo Bae, Byung Doo Jun, Jae Hun Chung and Min Han Son ...

No comments: