12.09.2005

Baseball fever

I can't remember a season of winter baseball meetings this interesting -- and in some ways this wacky ...

The swap meet once again defied all logic and several teams still have many questions to answer.

As for the home teams, the more I think about Juan Pierre joining the Cubs this year, the more excited I get. He's not Rafael Furcal or Johnny Damon, but he should provide a spark the team didn't have last year. ... Further north though, it seems no one I talk to can understand what the Brewers were thinking in giving away Lyle Overbay. Sure, they got a couple prospect arms, but, for some unknown reason, the Brewers seem starstruck by Prince Fielder and none of us can figure out why...

And so Tejada wants out of Baltimore. It's sad, yes, that another superstar who not to long ago was shining with a new contract is now whining about wanting to play on a winner, But really, can you blame him? I agree with a lot of Baltimore fans that it's more of an Angelos problem ...

Plus, he’s old and expensive, but he’s still The Rocket ... Riiiiiiiiiight. Only Newsday would write a column like this. But I said it when the season was over. And I'm still saying it. Roger should just retire.

No comments: