8.18.2005

The Power of Listening


I don't plan to discuss politics on here frequently. I am by no means a political mind and I've never really cared to be one ...

But the case of Cindy Sheehan strikes me. I love my country and I have the utmost respect and admiration for the people fighting for our freedom and liberties. You couldn't pay me enough to step into their shoes ...

Yet, I can't say I agree with all our country is doing in Iraq. Sure, I've talked to some of the soldiers and heard the feel-good stories about the happiness Iraqis have shown for the American presence and the improved atmosphere since the fall of Saddam's regime and yada, yada, yada. Still, I'm not sure the Bush administration had a concrete reason to go there in the first place, as much as they tried to make the impression that it was our duty ...

...meanwhile the references increase of Iraq being our generation's Vietnam and it seems Bush's numbers in the popularity polls are dropping as fast as our soldiers themselves.

I don't understand why Bush couldn't just speak with Cindy Sheehan. Or why any big-time CEO can't treat the employees that keep his company running with dignity. Or why a Major League Baseball player can't take a minute to sign a baseball for a kid waiting beyond the dugout ...

I have little faith that any of these examples will change, but, man, if they did, and if Bush met with Sheehan personally for even an hour, it would speak volumes to this country that our president really does care about this country, its policies and its people.

SEE RELATED: MSNBC.com: Why Cindy Sheehan deserves an audience with President Bush

UPDATE, AUG. 31: Anti-war mom glad she didn’t meet Bush

No comments: