4.24.2014

Wrigley Field at 100

So Wrigley Field celebrated its 100th birthday this week. I wished I could have been there.

The Royals may get most of my attention these days -- I blame the slow passing of WGN's time as the Cubs' broadcast partner -- but I miss those summers of counting the days to my next visit to the old ballpark.

I managed to make it to at least one game there during every summer between 1995 and 2009, with the exceptions of 2001 and 2002. And made so many good memories.

I hope to make it back some day.

Good stuff ... 

There's some neat vintage photos of the ballpark here. And here's a nice video from The New York Times.

a Chicago Tribune: Wrigley Field at 100
a Design gives Wrigley Field a firm sense of place
a Worst seats in the Friendly Confines ... Ah, yes. I've watched games in the vicinity of Aisle 229 and Aisle 523
a Wrigley's quirks are charming and annoying... There's a lot of truth in this story, too. "Navigating the crowds can be as adventurous as the game."
a At Wrigley Field, the party should be over... Sadly, there's a lot of truth in this story, too.
a The end of an era — remembering the first night game at Wrigley Field
a 'Babe Ruth's Called Shot' about baseball, myth

No comments: