3.19.2012

The Madness, continued

Oh, Jayhawks.

They nearly did it to me again last night. But I’d rather have them leave me speechless -- the way they did last night -- than heartbroken. Like they've done so many times before.

This weekend, I went to work hard on Baby 2’s room. In doing so, I moved our 19-inch TV from our master bedroom to the baby’s room and stretched a long cable cord down the hallway so I could keep tabs on the basketball games while I worked.

How exciting were Saturday’s games!? They picked up right where Friday night’s thrillers left off and I my Saturday could not have been better, as I watched the games from morning 'til night. Syracuse knocked off Kansas State. Ohio State beat Gonzaga. Indiana topped VCU in a thriller. Louisville put away New Mexico. And Wisconsin squeaked by Vanderbilt on a missed last-second shot, which of course had our house roaring Saturday evening.

I didn’t get much work done in the baby's room during last night's Kansas-Purdue game, however. … And when I did make progress with my painting, it was only because Kansas was playing so poorly I couldn’t stand to watch.

After all, Purdue should have won that game. They led for like 39 of the 40 minutes that make up a regulation game. The Boilermakers had totally shut down Thomas Robinson, and Tyshawn Taylor was cold.

Then Elijah Johnson happened.

When he nailed that three-pointer to give Kansas its first lead with three minutes left in the game, I had one of those moments where I had to do all I could to squelch my excitement because Phoebe was sleeping in the next room.

My eyes were glued on the TV the rest of the way, and by the final minute I was on all fours. Chewing my T-shirt collar.

Purdue took back the lead and had a chance to put the game away with 20 seconds left. But Purdue’s Lewis Jackson lost control of the ball. … Good ol’ Elijah was there to snatch it up and run it up the floor for what proved to be the game-winning layup.

Purdue had two more attempts to win or tie the game in the final 20 seconds, but both failed. Kansas won 63-60. Unbelievable finish.

When it was finally over, I sank back on the wall and burst into anxious laughter.

“Why are you laughing?” Kates asked from downstairs.

Good reads ...
a KU hopes flaws were one-time deal
a Kansas Rallies Past Purdue and Into Final 16
a Lower Profile, but No Longer Overlooked by N.C.A.A.
a Hanging From the Rafters, Lasting Symbols of Success and Pride
a Which teams have the best chances to upset powerhouse Kentucky?

No comments: