6.21.2011

First day of summer

Today was one of those days.

It was one of those days when I went from one meeting to the next, responding to emails and phone messages in between. It was one of those days where when I stopped in the afternoon and reflected on the day thus far, my morning seemed like it happened days ago. It was one of those days when the conversations and experiences and scenes reminded me that I’m where I belong. To cap the night, we headed to the university’s Summer Movie Series. Every Tuesday night, a popular movie or recent blockbuster plays on a big screen in the performing arts center, and it’s free. Tonight’s showing: “Tangled.”

Kids and their parents packed the theater. And Phoebe was on the edge of her seat for most of the night. That is, when she wasn’t crawling over the armrests to take a seat on my lap or Kates'.

She had seen the trailer for “Tangled” several times over the last few weeks thanks to one of her new DVDs, and she showed more interest in it each time she caught the scene of Rapunzel’s hair falling from the window of her tower.

The film itself? Dazzling and thoroughly enjoyable. With it’s wonderful music, storytelling and animation, “Tangled” is like a throwback to Disney’s animated classics. It's funny and suspenseful, and visually stunning. In fact, I have a feeling it's one we'll own very soon.

It wasn’t until the credits began rolling that I realized Mandy Moore, whom I adore, voiced Rapunzel. Even better. No wonder the singing caught my ears.

I’ve added it to the list.

No comments: