9.07.2010

My thrill

If you check this blog often, perhaps you've read The Weepies have a new album.

It was released Tuesday -- a date Kates and I had anticipated eagerly for months -- and downloading it was one of the first things I did when I arrived home that evening -- after collapsing on the bed with Kates and Phoebe.

But the first listen left Kates and I somewhat befuddled. We thought the album lacked flow. And the songs didn’t seem to have the character of The Weepies we’ve grown to love. “It’s kind of all over the place,” I said.

I’m thinking now, those were the bad vibes from our day working.

We’ve changed our tune with a few more listens over the weekend. “I’m warming up to it,” I told Kates Sunday night.

It's true, though, that the album has a different quality than The Weepies songs we've been playing for years. The thing is each Weepies album has a distinct feel, and their fourth collection continues that mentality. As I remember, I wasn’t so thrilled initially with “Hideawaywhen it arrived two years ago. Now it’s arguably my favorite of the duo’s releases; I guess we were expecting more of the same when we pressed play for the first time on “Be My Thrill” last week.

Compared to the darker themes of “Hideaway,” “Be My Thrill” is more upbeat. And it's already prompted Phoebe into a dancing frenzy a couple of times ... At the album’s core, the lush harmonies, the catchy melodies, the heartfelt lyrics and the sweet guitar strums -- they’re all there.

I Was Made For Sunny Days” and the title track (which, yes, totally tricked me into thinking I'd accidentally turned on Death Cab for Cutie’s “No Sunlight) are the clear favorites from the album. Both sparkle with cheer, and I love the kick that comes from the sound of Deb Tallan straining her voice on the bridge of “Thrill.” Every morning is like the one before / And everybody needs someone to adore.

The lovely “They’re In Love, Where Am I?” has the feel of a soft-pop hit of the 1970s ... “When You Go Away,” “Hummingbird,” “Be My Honeypie” with its jangly chorus and the repitive “Red Red Rose” take on the lullaby qualities The Weepies play so perfectly ...

The only miss on the album is the bluesy “How Do You Get High?” which feels out of place with the rest of the album's tone. It just might go down as my least favorite Weepies tune ever, and it will likely never see the light of my iPod.

Other reviews worth reading ...
a The Daily Cardinal
a Paste Magazine
a The Maneater

No comments: