5.12.2010

Ken Burns pitches extra 'Inning' this fall

Spotted this one on Twitter last night.

Awwwwwwwwww yeah.

Arguably one of the greatest documentaries of all time. It's a fascinating piece of work. It's an epic. And I've watched it repeatedly over the years ... Not to mention listened to its soundtrack and flipped through its companion book.

I am so thankful Ken Burns has finally decided to play another inning.

* * *

While we're on the subject of baseball, check out these fascinating finds illustrating fan bases ...

This first one, "The Die Hard Index," comes via Cubs Fan Report (an excellent daily digest of Cubs happenings that I've recently caught onto, by the way), and analyzes ticket prices, attendance, stadium capacity and home losses, among other things to determine the quality of each club's fans. Turns out Cubs fans are the best ... Royals fans, meanwhile ... Ugh.

Then there's this one, via my friend Matt, which I had not seen before. I find it fascinating, though not surprising, the swath that Cubs loyalty cuts through Iowa and Indiana -- competing, of course, with the large base of Cardinals loyalty across Missouri, southern Illinois and parts of other southern states ... I think I like this map the best of the two.

Fun stuff. 

No comments: