2.28.2010

Olympic memories

This is the extent of my Olympic watching this year …


After catching the Olympic fever -- bad -- a couple weeks ago, I made a quick recovery … and thoughts of the Olympics went by the wayside.

Other responsibilities got in the way. I spent Thursday night driving; I spent last weekend packing boxes. The Olympics became the furthest thing from my mind. So goes the state of things in my life right now; there’s more important things to do …

I missed Evan Lysacek winning gold. I missed Lindsey Jacobellis's latest gaffe. I missed all but Apolo Ohno's first race, and thus his record-breaking performances. I also missed Shaun White, Lindsey Vonn; I missed Joannie Rochette and the women's figure skating.

But I made a pact today that I was going to relax and watching the gold medal hockey game between the U.S. and Canada …

What. A. Game.

When Canada went up 2-0 in the second period, the game looked all but over. But the U.S. got on the board midway through the second … Things got tense …

When Zach Parise scored the tying goal -- seemingly out of nowhere -- with 24 seconds left in regulation, I flew off the coach and nearly broke my hand slapping it on the coffee table in celebration.

Then, I reached for my laptop, posted the word “Scoooooooooooorrrrrrrrre!” on my Facebook and Twitter and joined the jubilation that was lighting up the social networks … I’ve said it before, and I’ll said it again: I love that! Nothing like watching a game virtually with dozens of friends across the country.

Unfortunately, the jubilation turned to dismay when Sydney Crosby scored the winning goal for Canada in overtime.

Doh. Canada … At the least, I’m happy for the Canadians winning it on their home turf.

But, man, it would have been sweet to see the U.S. win that game …

The intensity and excitement of the game reminded me repeatedly of my hockey-watching glory years during the late ’90s and early 2000s, following the Colorado Avalanche and living with a roommate who was a die hard Detroit Red Wings fan. Good times.

Sure, I'll watch the closing ceremonies tonight. But right now I'm feeling like this afternoon offered all the Olympic memories I need.

No comments: