8.23.2009

Game 13: All's well that ends well

We finished off our regular season today with a 6-5, come-from-behind win. The win staked us in fourth place for the season, with a record of 8-5 -- by far the best record of any team I've played on in my four seasons with this amateur baseball league.

For awhile today it looked like we were going to lose. The opponent threw their 60-something junk baller at us and we couldn't hit him for a lick. I struck out to lead off the bottom of the first in another one of my "epic" at-bats, which have started to become the norm of my plate appearances during the latter half of the season, Once again, I fouled off a multitude of pitches before swinging and missing a sinking pitch ...

I hit a single in the fourth inning, but nothing came of it. We couldn't string together any offense against their pitcher ...

Finally, with our team down 5-1 in the bottom of the sixth, the opponent made a pitching change -- for whatever reason -- and suddenly our bats came alive. We put together enough hits to tie the game, and then scored the go-ahead run when one of our runners scored from third base on a passed ball.

I didn't figure into the rally, though ... I popped out to the third baseman in the sixth, and I flied out to the center fielder in the eighth inning.

Playoffs start this week -- and that's good, because we're hitting our groove.

No comments: