2.08.2009

Live on Grammy night!

It’s 8:20 p.m. … We've just filled our bellies with bowls of Chilli while watching tonight’s “60 Minutes” featuring Katie Couric's interview with Capt. Sullenberger and his crew. (A-maz-ing story …). Now, Kates is putting Phoebe to bed …

And I’m tuning into the Grammys. What else would I possibly be doing tonight? …

I’m starting it an hour and 20 minutes late, but watching it from the beginning thanks to the wonder of DVR …

Taylor Swift’s “Love Story” has been playing all day in my head, and it‘s actually growing on me. Gee, you think she’s going to be appearing anything tonight?

8:23 p.m. … U2 is opening with “Get On Your Boots.” Great stuff, they’re rocking it …

8:24 p.m. … Oh my gosh. Whitney Houston actually looks … healthy! … And she’s showing some leg, too … Acknowledging Clive Davis, blah, blah, blah, get on with it … And Jennifer Hudson gets Best R&B Album. Darn, I was sort of rooting for Boyz II Men. A moving acceptance for Hudson though …

8:29 p.m. … The Rock reciting the lyrics to “I Kissed a Girl.” Ha-larious …

8:33 p.m. … Al Green with Boyz II Men! … Nice … Unfortunately Justin Timberlake is trying to upstage them all. Typical. Step back Justin. … The Boyz are barely doing anything. Is it me or is this dragging already? …

8:38 p.m. … Bring on the Coldplay … Chris Martin going solo on the piano with “Lost.” Beautiful … Oh, and Jay-Z with the rap!! Awesome … And bring in the band for “Viva La Vida.” Now we’re rocking!! … Meanwhile, Kates’s is analyzing how Martin is dressed. I don’t care, honey, I’m just interested in the music.

8:45 p.m. … Carrie Underwood’s on now … I’m not sure I like what she’s wearing … And there’s something going on with the sound. Distorted, maybe? Not liking it. … Carrie’s acting like she doesn’t know what to do with herself surrounded by all of those guitarists.

8:48 p.m. … Sheryl Crow and LeAnne Rimes. Now that’s a good-looking pair. Liking their dresses … They’re presenting Best Country Performance by a Duo/Group: Oh! Lady Antebellum!?! … Doh! It goes to Sugarland. Dang.

8:53 … Song of the Year … This is a doozy! I love them all!!! … Coldplay wins. Aw yeah! I love that album.

8:56 … Kid Rock is on …Ugh. … Ok, he’s playing “Amen.” Decent song. … Now Kid’s doing “All Summer Long.” I hate that it’s a total rip-off of “Werewolves of London” and “Sweet Home Alabama,” and I hate that I like it … Third song, I have no idea what it is …

9:01 p.m. … And here’s Taylor … With Miley Cyrus!?! Aye … Aye … My ears! … Aye! Somebody tell them to go back to singing to the stuffed animals in their bedrooms!!

9:05 p.m. … Best Pop Collaboration with Vocals … For me it’s “No Air,” hands down … Nope, it’s Allison Krauss and Robert Plant. They win every time …

9:07 p.m. … Jennifer Hudson’s performing now … Not interested. I’m checking my e-mail and Facebook.

9:17 p.m. … The Jonas Brothers with Stevie Wonder, huh? … I really, really want to like it, but it’s not working for me. The Jonas’s are too whiny … Ok, here we go!! Stevie’s doing “Superstition.” … I think one of the Jonas boys just messed up the lyrics. Funny! … Remember when I saw Stevie last summer? That was a good time.

9:22 p.m. … Blink 182?! Where did they pull them from? … They’re presenting Best Rock Album. My bet’s on Coldplay, easily … Coldplay! Yes!! Did I mention how much I love that album?

9:26 p.m. … Hey, it’s Craig Ferguson. He’s a funny, funny guy … And bring on Katy Perry for “I Kissed a Girl.” Arguably the most anticipated performance of the night -- And she’s being dropped on the stage in a banana. Not phallic at all. … You know, I could hardly stand this song the first couple times I heard it. Now, I love it. Seeing Katy perform it on New Year’s Eve and again now, I think she’s got some pretty good performing chops.

9:31 p.m. … Kanye and Estelle! Yeah! “American Boy!” … Great, great song! … And whoah, Kanye, going all Miami Vice on us! He also looks like he’s singing into a flashlight with that red microphone.

9:34 p.m. … Best New Artist. Big category, and another doozy! … It’s Adele! Yes!! … I thought for sure it was going to Duffy, which wouldn’t have been bad either. I also would have accepted Lady Antebellum. I would’ve screamed if it was the Jonas Brothers. … Great speech, Adele!

9:37 p.m. … Kenny Chesney’s performing … Checking e-mail again.

9:41 p.m. … Record of the Year. … Please not “Bleeding Love!” … Seriously. Robert Plant and Allison Krauss win everything. Aye.

9:47 p.m. … Now the rappers are on. So not a fan, though I respect the talent that’s on the stage right now -- pregnant M.I.A., Kanye’s ’80s hair and all.

9:51 p.m. … Ah, the charming and beautiful Kate Beckinsale -- entering to, yes, Coldplay. … (She says M.I.A. was due today!? Holy crap.) … Oh, she’s introducing The Beatles tribute! I’m so excited too, Kate!! … HERE WE GO!!! … “Saw Her Standing There,” Great! opener!! … Kates and I were just reminiscing about how we thought this song belonged to Tiffany. Crazy ’80s. … That’s it!?! One song, really!? That was a letdown.

9:58 p.m. … Best Male Pop Vocals … Calling for Jason Mraz!?! … John Mayer’s “Say”!?! What!?! Blah. I think it’s one of the worst songs John Mayer has done.

10:05 p.m. … Sugarland couldn’t finish their performance fast enough. Bring on Adele! … “Chasing Pavements” sounds wonderful as expected. Loving the strings!

10:08 p.m. … There’s Gwenyth! Kates and I were debating whether she was there tonight … Introducing Radiohead, aw yeah. Another one of my favorite albums of the year. … Awesome percussion, sweet guitar, and brass too!! Wow. What a band! … THAT was quite possibly my favorite performance of the night.

10:13 p.m. … Justin Timberlake. Eh ... I’m getting tired and starting to lose interest now.

10:19 p.m. … Why, I had NO IDEA that Barack Obama was a Grammy winner. Sweet!! … A Secretary of the Arts cabinet position sounds like a great idea …

10:22 p.m. … Four Tops tribute with Smokey Robinson, Ne-Yo and Jamie Foxx. Nice … Aw, there’s Jordin Sparks next to Paul McCartney! Lucky girl!!

10:27 p.m. … Josh Groban introducing none other than Neil Diamond … “Sweet Caroline!” Liking it!! … Love that the crowd’s into it!! This is biggest smile I’ve been wearing all night.

10:35 p.m. … REALLY liking the Bo Diddley tribute. John Mayer, B.B. King and a country singer whose name I don’t know (They all look the same to me, but I think this one's Chesney). Another awesome collection of talent.

10:42 p.m. … Liking the New Orleans tribute too. Alan Toussaint is super talented. … But seriously, let’s get to Album of the Year and get out of here …

10:46 p.m. … So happy to see Zooey Deschanel … introducing Robert Plant and Allison Krauss. Ugh.

10:50 p.m. … Ok, really liking Plant and Krauss on “Gone Gone Gone” right now!

10:51 p.m. … Finally! Album of the Year … Better be Coldplay … Or Radiohead … No!!!!!!! It’s Robert Plant and Allison Krauss. Everything! Aye.

Time for bed.

Nope, Kates just reminded me I have to do dishes …

Then, it’s time for bed.

No comments: