2.26.2009

Idol chatter

Sorry, I’m not feeling very inspired after last night’s second helping of “American Idol” finalists …

The contestants that really intrigued us during the audition rounds stumbled, and barely half of last night’s performers stand a chance at making it through to the next round …

Jasmine Murray had been one of our faves -- I’d say a No. 4 behind Alexis Grace, Danny Gokey and Megan Corkrey -- but her version of “Love Song” was so off-key. She’s done …

I couldn’t have cared less about Kai Kalama (“What Becomes of A Broken Heart”), Jeanine Vailes (“This Love”), Matt Breitzke (“If You Could Only See”) … By the time Jesse Langseth sang “Bette Davis Eyes” I was bored and officially watching the minutes tick off our DVR so we could watch “Lost.”

I so wasn’t into Mishavonna Henson’s “Drops of Jupiter” and I was rolling my eyes at the judges gushing over Adam Lambert‘s “Satisfaction.” That’s one of those songs you shouldn’t touch, and I didn’t think Lambert did it justice. An Adam Lambert concert!? Whatever, Paula.

Nick/Norman? I’m praying my brains out that he doesn’t make it through to the next round. The guy does not belong on “American Idol.”

So that leaves us with …

Allison Iraheta who sang Heart‘s “Alone” by Heart … She gave the hands-down performance of the night. She looked good. Her stage presence was great. She picked an excellent song and blew it out of the studio … Kates and I were talking about the Kelly Clarkson vibe just as the judges said the same.

The top guy has got to be Kris Allen for his take on Michael Jackson’s “Man in the Mirror” … He picked one of my all-time favorites, and initially Kates and were thinking Noooo! There’s no way he’s going to pull that off! ... But he did. And we were left bursting into giggles at the chills running down our spines. … When Kara came out saying he should’ve sung a soul song, I thought Aw geez, they’re going to go all Giraud on him (see below). But the other judges totally disagreed with Kara; that was awesome.

For the third spot -- with some heavy doubt -- I’m picking our all-around favorite Megan Corkrey. She’s pretty, she’s interesting, she’s unique, she’s got a cool personality -- all those things have been said. And unfortunately they weren’t enough to mask her poor vocals on Corrine Bailey Rae’s “Put Your Records On.”

As for her outfit and the dancing, distracting definitely describes it. I’m going to refer to EW on this one

“… you have the face (and eyelashes) that could launch a couple hundred thousand text-message votes, even if you had a singing voice as bunk as Casey Carlson's. Which, thank heavens, you don't. But your dancing — was that for real? Because it kinda sorta brought me back to Sister Clarie's first-grade class, when kids would fail to hit the bathroom before chorus, and then rock back and forth uncomfortably while singing. Combined with the stark white stockings and the white pom-poms on the front of your dress, the whole affair was, from a visual perspective, a wee bit incongruous. And an awful lot distracting.”
Here’s hoping Megan’s got enough fans to get her through to the next round, ‘cause we think she’s got potential and we’d love to hear more from her …

So, my condolences to Matt Giraud who, for my viewing time, gave a worthy rendition on Coldplay‘s “Viva La Vida.” Truthfully, I was pleasantly surprised, and I completely disagreed with the judges and their scolding of Giraud for not singing a blues song. … Let the dude sing what he wants to sing! Hearing all four judges rip on him for not singing a blues song drove me nuts …

Ah, who am I kidding. Matt's more likely to make it than Megan.

No comments: