8.03.2008

Game night!

… We got slaughtered tonight. Let’s face it -- our pitching is in shambles. Our No.1 pitcher tore his right ACL a couple weeks ago (He tore his left one last year), and we’ve been leaning on our No. 2 guy like he’s invincible …

But let’s forget all that for a bit. I did what I could tonight and played one of my best games of the year …

I started in left field tonight and made three put-outs there, in addition to cleaning fielding a few other balls and holding runners … I also watched a two-run home run sail over my head. We were playing the best team in the league tonight -- they’re big guys, and they can hit. So, yeah, that home run -- I was almost playing on the warning track, and I could tell it was gone the moment it left the bat …

Midway through the game, I moved over to second base to replace our starting second baseman, who was taking over on the mound. At second base, I continued my good defensive play, making two more put-outs there and even turning the front end of a double play …

All of it felt great! I don’t think I’ve been so relaxed and comfortable playing as I was tonight …

At the plate, I was batting in the sixth spot tonight, and I got my first shot in the second inning with two outs and no one on … Facing a right-hander, the guy laid in a hanging knuckleball, I dropped the barrel of the bat on it and hit a solid liner to left field for a single …I took second when the next batter singled and then stole third and was left stranded …

In my second at-bat, I got some hard fastballs and had battled before swinging, missing and striking out on a 3-2 fastball … I took a walk during my third at-bat …

A 1-for-2 night at the plate, with a walk, and some solid defensive play in the field -- I’m pretty pleased. Although, it would have been nice if the score was slightly more in our favor.

No comments: