8.18.2008

Emotions, baby

… Kates and I have opted to watch the Brewers game tonight …

Nothing exciting going in the Olympics tonight. Michael Phelps is done swimming, after all.

Yep, tonight it’s all about CC Sabathia and the Brew Crew. They’re looking good too … Corey Hart just cranked a home run to put the Brewers ahead 8-2 against the Astros …

Which brings me to yesterday …

I was parked in front of the TV yesterday afternoon. One eye on Phoebe playing on the floor, one eye on the Brewers-Dodgers game on the TV …

Heading into the ninth, the Brewers were down 5-1. But we know better than to count these guys out …

The Brewers cut the lead to 5-3, and then Ryan Braun stepped to the plate with a runner on and two outs …

At this point, I’m already playing out the scenario in my head: Great, here I am playing with Phoebe, she’s all quiet and content. But Lord knows Braun’s going to hit a home run to tie the game, I’m going to erupt in a burst of cheers, it’s going to scare Phoebe and she’s going to burst out crying …

Well, that’s pretty much the way it happened … Braun got a hold of a 2-2 pitch and crushed it over the left field wall at Dodger Stadium; it was one of those home runs that you knew was gone as soon as he hit it …

I shouted, “He did it!” -- although, in my defense, I will say my shout was a little more subdued then what it might have been had Phoebe not been sitting right next to me …

Phoebe jumped. Her eyes widened in fear. Her mouth furled. And she burst out crying … Ryan Bruan had barely started circling the bases when I rushed to scoop her up and console her.

Oh, the tears she cried. … She’ll learn though. Her dad’s a pretty emotional guy.

No comments: