6.09.2008

Phoebe's Rock 'n' Roll Playlist

Last week, we gave you Phoebe’s Lullaby playlist. Tonight, we give you Phoebe’s Rock ‘n’ Roll (aka playtime) playlist …

This one didn’t take near as much time and thought as the Lullaby list, and it’s about half as long – though we might continue adding songs as we come across them …

For this playlist, my goal was simply to find a collection of songs that were fun, sing-able and clean. I wanted songs that are classics and songs that are popular today. Songs that have brought lots of smiles to mine and Kates’s faces, and songs I could envision Phoebe smiling with too …

So here it is, Phoebe’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Playlist …
  1. 1-2-3-4 (Feist) … Not only was it one of the defining songs of the last year, it’s a great counting song. I didn’t realize how appropriate it was for kids until reading the Mates of State blog a few weeks ago.

  2. Come to Me (Koop) … This one had been on the Lullaby list for awhile, but Kates argued -- and won – that it was better suited for this list. It’s a great tune nonetheless. (Hear it here)
  3. We Are the Sleepyheads (Belle & Sebastian) ... One of the most fun songs I've ever heard in my entire life. Seriously. (Hear it here)
  4. Fun, Fun, Fun (Beach Boys) … One of my all-time favorites. When it comes on, I wail. It had to be on this list. Period.
  5. The Middle (Jimmy Eat World) ... It's just a feel-good song.

  6. Hound Dog (Elvis Presley) ... You ain't nothin but a hound dog / Cryin all the time. (Classic video here)
  7. Feeling Alright (Joe Cocker) … One of Kates’s all-time favorites ... I like it too. (Hear it here)

  8. Happy Together (The Turtles) ... Imagine me and you, I do / I think about you day and night, it's only right / To think about the girl you love and hold her tight / So happy together.

  9. Good Vibrations (Beach Boys) … Another one of my all-time faves. Aptly titled, it doesn’t get a whole lot better than this one. (Vintage video here)

  10. Lovely Rita (The Beatles) ... A great, bouncy, singable Beatles tune. (Hear it here)

  11. Funny Little Frog (Belle & Sebastian) ... Honey, lovin' you is the greatest thing / I get to be myself and I get to sing / I get to play at being irresponsible / I come home late and love your soul / I never forget you in my prayers / I never have a bad thing to report ... It's a sweet sounding song, with some sweet lyrics, and a sweet video too. (Hear and watch it here).

  12. Rockin’ The Suburbs (Ben Folds, Over the Hedge version) ... Great song by the one and only ... But did you really think we'd put the "R" version on poor Phoebe's playlist!?

  13. She’s a Woman (Chikezie) ... Chikezie's "American Idol version was way cool.
  14. Put Your Records On (Corinne Bailey Rae) ... Girl, put your records on, tell me your favorite song / You go ahead, let your hair down / Sapphire and faded jeans, I hope you get your dreams, / Just go ahead, let your hair down. (Hear and watch it here)

  15. You Baby (The Turtles) ... A little ray of sunshine, / A little bit of soul / And just a touch of magic, / You've got the greatest thing since rock 'n' roll!

  16. Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da (The Beatles) ... So fun to sing.
  17. I’m Looking Through You (The Wallflowers) ... Great cover of the Beatles song. (Hear it here)

  18. Sloop John B (Beach Boys) ... Really, I could load this thing with Beatles and Beach Boys songs, but Phoebe needs some variety (Video here)

  19. Daddy’s Girl (Peter Cetera) ... The title and lyrics say it all ... Who else remembers it from "Three Men and a Baby" !?
  20. New Soul (Yael Naim) ... See I'm a young soul in this very strange world / Hoping I could learn a bit bout what is true and fake (Video here)

1 comment:

Mallory said...

I think I need to download a copy of Phoebe's playlist. That girl is going to have great music taste!