4.13.2008

Saturday night & Sunday morning

... By last night, both Kates and Phoebe were doing wonderfully well … We had a few visitors during the morning. But by noon, both of us were exhausted and we were taking the nurses advice again, this time on discouraging any more visitors …

Kates slept all afternoon. And I had a long nap, too, with Phoebe in my arms …

As the evening arrived, I helped Kates feed Phoebe … And then I went out -- to the Counting Crows concert.

Now before some of you go accusing me of being a terrible husband and abandoning my newborn daughter …

I’d bought a ticket to the Crows show with a complete understanding of the situation, and knowing that if I was unable to go, there were a few people waiting in the wings to buy my ticket … Kates understood the situation and was totally fine with it, too.

I had it in my mind that if there were any doubts about Kates’s health and well-being, or Phoebe’s, there was no way I’d be going to that concert. If we were discharged and home by ourselves, there was no way I’d be going to that concert … But as Saturday went on, both girls were doing well and I couldn’t say enough good things about the care our nurses were providing. I knew they would be just fine, and if I had stayed with them, all I would’ve done was watch TV. Or blog …

Going to the concert was totally worth it ...


It was my third Counting Crows show, and probably the best of the three. Good crowd. Fantastic music. And Adam Duritz was all over the stage, exhibiting his theatrics as usual …

Going in, though, I was a little weary of what to expect. As much as I would've liked to hear all of the hits, a lot of my favorites -- "Anna Begins," "Rain King," "Mrs. Potter's Lullabye" -- were nowhere to be found Saturday night ...

I sort of expected a good dose of songs from the new album, which after all is what they're heavily promoting right now ... And that's what we got. And, though, I have yet to get a hold of the new album, I was definitely impressed with what I heard ... Among the songs played Saturday night were “Los Angeles,” “Insignificant” “When I Dream Of Michelangelo” "You Can't Count On Me” and “Come Around.”

In the meantime, the old stuff that they did play was as tight and fresh as I'd ever heard them ... The Crows opened the show with “ Goodnight L.A,” before going into a sweet “Have You Seen Me Lately,” and an electrifying rendition of “Mr. Jones.” “High Life,” one of my favorites off the "Desert Life" album, “Colorblind” “Long December” and “Hard Candy” also were very good. And the band ended the night with “Holiday in Spain.”

Great show.

Check out my friend Sean's Web site for his pics from the show ...

No comments: