2.03.2008

Super Bowl halftime

I'm pretty much exhausted from our last few days so forgive me if this post is lacking any of the usual Horns enthusiasm ...

It's been a good game so far ... Before it started, I predicted if the Giants could control the clock and Eli Manning played as well as he's played throughout the playoffs, New York has a good shot at winning ... Believe it. It could happen.

Tom Petty has just finished playing the halftime show as I'm writing this ...

He's a legend. I get it ... I've just never been that impressed by his music. And if he didn't play "Free Fallin" (so over played) I would have been OK with it (Or as Kates reasons: "Stupid Jerry MacGuire!").

That said, I'm pretty impressed with his halftime show ... He opened with "American Girl," which is perhaps my favorite Petty song, and then charged right into "I Won't Back Down." ... Then he did bring out "Free Fallin'" after all, and closed out the set with "Runnin' Down A Dream" and a pretty sweet guitar solo ...

As for the commercials ... Eh. There's been a few standouts, but overall I'm not impressed ...

Here's my favorites so far:
1) The Tide commercial with the stain.
2) The Budweiser commercial with the dalmation who trains Hank the clydesdale.
3) The Cars.com commerical with the buyer who had a Plan B that included a fire match with Glondor

And I'll give an honorable metion to the Dorito's commercial with the human-sized mouse and to the Pepsi wake-up commercial -- Chris Kattan's appearance at the end is what made it ...

The dumbest commercial: That SobeLife water promo with the "Thriller"-dancing lizards -- The dancing lizards were great, but the message of the commercial was worthless and the dancing Naomi Campbell was just out of place and distracting ...

Oh, and Jordin Sparks singing the National Anthem? So recorded.

No comments: