1.26.2008

In love with Juno

… It’s been a long, long time since I’ve really, thoroughly enjoyed a movie. Years, I would say. A loooooong time. I was beginning to worry I was losing touch. That the movie industry really was more interested in quick cash and not quality content. That I’d become too jaded …

Never mind. Kates and I saw “Juno” today.

It's the story of snarky 16-year-old Juno MacGuff, who gets pregnant after having sex with her nerdy friend Paulie Bleeker. After getting freaked out of having an abortion, Juno finds the courage to tell her supportive parents and decides to give her baby to a couple who she thinks will be the perfect parents … What ensues is a wonderfully-told story of love, life and growing up -- and "the bumps along the way." … (See the trailer here.)

Quite honestly, I knew very little about the film -- the writer's strike has me all out of whack -- other than it’s been getting a lot of positive buzz. And I’ve seen stories raving about the appeal of the soundtrack … So when Kates and I made plans to see a movie last night, “Juno” was our top choice. But then I got stuck late at work and one thing led to another and we opted not to see it, instead making a pact to see it this evening…

I literally had chills running through my spine as the end credits rolled, I thought it was so beautifully done.

Smart screenplay, check. Great cast and acting, check. Sweet cinematography, check. Soundtrack I’d love to get my hands on, check.

It also helped that Kates and I are going through the whole pregnancy thing right now

The movie is being dubbed a comedy -- and there certainly are a multitude of HA-larious, laugh-out loud scenes. All you had to do was spend five minutes in the theater with our audience this afternoon and you had your proof … But it’s not at all farcical or over-the-top; it’s pretty realistic …

Ellen Page’s portrayal of Juno is Oscar-worthy and it had me hooked from the moment I saw her chugging orange juice in the opening scene and saying, “It started with a chair.” … Allison Janney as Juno’s step mom Bren is, well, as good and talented as Allison Janney always has been … And that’s just the start of what’s about as close to perfect casting as you could have. Rainn Wilson has a memorable turn also as the store clerk who sells Juno her pregnancy tests ...

Director Jason Reitman and screenwriter Diablo Cody nailed it, too … There wasn’t a point in the film that I could’ve said to myself, I know where this is going. Even as Juno and Jason Bateman’s father-to-be character, Mark, embark on a somewhat creepy relationship, the dynamics change again and the story takes another turn …

I could go on, but for the sake of trying to keep this post short, I’ll stop. Honest to blog.

And now we’re watching “Little Miss Sunshine” for the second time. Not as good as “Juno,” but still an endearing movie everyone should see at least once. In fact, I'm thinking it's better the second time … Steve Carell so should have won an Oscar for his role.

Good "Juno" reads ...
a 'Juno': This Year's Cinderella May Actually Be Oscar Favorite
a Juno star Ellen Page is expecting - an Oscar
a 'Juno' Soundtrack More Goo-Goo Than Gaga ... I don't completely agree with J. Freedom du Lac's assertions, but he gives a good description of what the "Juno" music offers.
a `Juno' Oscar Ascent Complete With 4 Noms
a A look at 'Juno' and pro-life Hollywood

UPDATE 03.12.08
Some Christian-related reads about "Little Miss Sunshine" ...
a From The World According to Lief
a Little Miss Sunshine and the Christian Facade...
a Who's the True Little Miss Sunshine?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you liked Juno (I did, too) you should see Once. I think you'd really like it. Lynne and I almost immediately bought the soundtrack.
I liked Into The Wild, too. I can't believe it wasn't nominated for Best Picture.