5.17.2007

It’s all consuming

Kates continues to plug away on her masters degree. I just started a new role at work. And if I'm not trying to solve the world's problems in that seat, I'm tinkering around in our yard or on our house. Or I'm playing baseball ...

We've been so busy, we’ve hardly had time to watch our TV shows. Our DVR is so jammed full with shows, we had to watch this week’s Desperate Housewives and Heroes online because the DVR couldn’t hold ‘em. (But seriously, how cool is it to watch a TV show on the Internet!?)

... Last night's Lost was a good one. Jack and Juliet finally seem to be jiving with the good guys back on the island. And Charlie gives in to death in an attempt to try flipping some underwater switch to boost the castaways' favor... But when he gets to the underwater hatch, he finds air and seemingly defies death. Then a set of rifle-toting women burst from doors in every corner -- setting us up for what should be a jaw-dropping finale. Aw yeah!

Then there was tonight's Grey's Anatomy season finale (...BTW, I couldn't agree more with Gregory Kirschling's review) ... I was really liking it -- until the last 10 minutes. As Christina was fretting with the girls at the back of the sanctuary, Burke began walking down the aisle to go after her. As he got closer to the door, all I could do was wait for it to swing open with Christina declaring she was ready to go.

Nope. Too easy for the Grey's writers, I guess. Instead Burke tells Christina she'll never be ready and calls off the wedding.

And the whole chief thing. Callie got the chief-resident post (why!?), so when Chief was telling candidate after candidate that he/she didn't get the chief of surgery role, I thought for sure it was going to Bailey, who would've been great! to watch in that role ... Nope. It went to Shepherd, who then turned it down.

The Chief and Adele reunited (Was she really saying the Chief is the father of that baby!?). We find out George failed his exam ... and we get a glimpse of some immature new cheeseball interns in the locker room. Seriously!? Those new characters!? That's what we have to look forward to next year!?

Now I understand why Meredith tried to drown herself ...

At this point, I think I've been more excited just to see some of these shows end for the summer than I have about the finales themselves ...

Bring on the baseball games.

* * *

What’s with all the babies everywhere lately!? I mean Kates and I are talking about it, but c’mon. All this baby talk surrounding us lately isn’t putting the pressure on at all … It's every-where!

All of our closest friends/cousins/brother are having babies. Then it’s all the celebs having babies -- we caught Amanda Peet, to name one, discussing her pregnancy/new mom experiences on Conan the other night. Or it’s Kim and J.D. on Scrubs. Or it’s Dana on According to Jim. Or Callie and George on Grey's Anatomy. Or Christine on New Adventures of Old Christine or Ted and Robin on How I Met Your Mother -- who thought they were going to have babies. Or it’s all the baby snatching on Lost. Or it’s everything on Notes From the Underbelly

Kates will have her masters finished in seven months ...

Then ...

* * *

Then there’s the matter of these Brewers medallions …

It all started about three weeks ago when we went to a Brewers game. The promotion of the day was a picture album to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the 1982 American League Championship season. But there was a catch -- to complete the album, fans had to collect each of 23 medallions that would be sold at any one of 300 locations in the region over the ensuing three weeks. A different medallion would be available each day for $2.99, but to get it you had to have a coupon that could only be found in that day’s Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Got all that?

And the collector that I am, how could I resist!?! The chase was on …

For each of the first few days, I was driving on my lunch break to a Walgreens 15 miles north -- one of the closest locations selling the medallions -- to make the pickup. But that routine changed about a week into my pursuit when I nearly missed getting the day’s medallion and concluded the other guys out to get these things were getting a little more savvy. After all, each store only had about 10 of the pieces. I had to adjust my game …

So instead I started heading out before work in the morning, and began hitting up a corner gas station about 10 miles up the road. I’d pick up a copy of the Journal-Sentinel on the way, and then, every morning around 8 a.m., the older lady behind the counter could expect to see my little green machine pull up, and I would get out with my little newsprint coupon, lay it on her counter and pay the $2.99, plus tax, to get that colorful little medallion …

“You know, you time this really well,” she told me on Wednesday. “Every day you come in here you manage to get my last one.”

Lucky me.

Now the end of this crazy newspaper promotion is finally in sight …The 23rd and final medallion comes out tomorrow.

When I arrived at the station this morning, there was another man at the counter in front of me buying a cup of coffee and hoarding papers. As usual, there were a couple more guys gabbing by the side window and watching the traffic go by. And I was paying for today’s medallion …

“Doesn’t that thing end tomorrow?” one of the guys by the window says.

“Thank God,” says the man hoarding the papers, now tearing out the coupons on the counter beside me.

“Yeah, now their paper sales are going to drop like crazy,” another guy by the window says.

I chuckled and nodded my head. If it wasn’t for this whole medallion thing, I’d wouldn’t be buying these newspapers. Kudos to the marketing department on that one …

“They’ve probably never sold so many papers,” another man says.

Probably not. But it sure was fun while it lasted … I’m such a dork. But darn it, this is going to be a sweet collection when it’s completed tomorrow …

No comments: