5.01.2007

The Best Damn album

… I got my hands on Avril Lavigne’s “Best Damn Thing” yesterday. I love it.

… By now, I’ve listened to the disc a half dozen times. And I’ve played “Girlfriend” about twice as much …

… I'd rather not make music comparisons, but for me there's no easier way to give people an idea of what the music sounds like. The first descriptions that came to mind listening to this one? It's like Fergie joined the Go-Gos ...

Let’s face it, Avril doesn’t have the polished chops of a Celine Dion, but her spunk and explosive energy makes the music oh so fun to listen to …

“Girlfriend” is clearly the hit on the album, perfect and just in time for the summer.

... “I Can Do Better” is classic power punk. “Runaway” is perfect for getting in the car and driving to some far off escape. “The Best Damn Thing” is damn-catchy.

The album falters a little in the middle, however. “When You’re Gone” is like an attempt at a sweet ballad in the same vein of Avril’s “I’m With You,” but it’s more likely to end up as a track I’ll routinely skip over …

... Some cool melodies make “Hot” and “Contagious” stand out during the latter half of the album before “Keep Holding On,” a song that's been sorely overplayed on radio, closes out the disc ...

No, the lyrics aren't as mature from an Avril who's now married, growing up and touting her third album (most of the stuff on here sounds like the words of a bratty schoolgirl, or songs that didn't make the "Mean Girls" soundtrack" ...

But the songs are catchy as anything she's done. And here's hoping she brings her stuff to Summerfest ...

(People are still talking about her SNL performance, the show came up every time I mentioned my listening to the new album)

No comments: