4.03.2007

Florida shines

The inevitable question came up everywhere today: Who were you rooting for in the National Championship game tonight?

The answer for me, hands down, was Florida.

To be honest, I wasn’t overly fond of either Florida or Ohio State. But I dislike Oden and Ohio State far more.

But there was something about the way Florida carried itself and I was drawn in by the mystique of the Gators claiming that rare repeat status. And when you figure in the football championship they won last fall -- over Ohio State -- then you’re approaching dynasty talk …

They played well tonight. I was rooting for the boys to repeat. They were cool and respectful. And I was glad to see them win it all …

And I even caught myself welling up a bit during “One Shining Moment.” (I had told Brian and Liz today, to their utmost disdain, that I thought the cheesy music video CBS does at the end of the tournament every year was one of the most overrated and unoriginal things …)

UPDATE 7:23 a.m., 4.03.07: This from SI this morning ...

"That's the headline for college sports these days," says SI's Richard Deitsch. Last night Florida defeated Ohio State 84-75 to win its second consecutive national championship. It's the first repeat title since Duke in 1991-92, and it makes Florida just the seventh school to win back-to-back basketball titles. "Domination is the popular major on the Gainesville campus these days," notes Deitsch. "Just three months ago the football team knocked off Ohio State in the BCS title game. Last night the Gators led 40-29 at halftime and stemmed every potential Buckeye comeback with timely three-point shooting. Florida was 10 of 18 from three-point range, while Ohio State was 4 of 23. The Gators' Corey Brewer (left) was named the NCAA Most Outstanding Player. Florida coach Billy Donovan could not stop praising his team: 'I sit up here very, very humbled,' said Donovan, 'because I was fortunate enough over the last two years to coach a group of guys that has to go down in history as one of the greatest teams of all time.'"

No comments: