4.14.2007

Chicago in 2016!

... Where were you when you heard Chicago had won the U.S. bid to host the 2016 Summer Olympics ...

I had finished listening to the Cubs game today and was doing my usual weekend work in the yard when the guys on the postgame show said the announcement was coming. They carried it live. I stopped everything I was doing to listen in ...

For weeks I've closely watched and read all of the news about the latest developments and proposals for Chicago's push to get the Olympic games. I've been as excited as anyone about the idea of the games coming to the city ...

And then today, there it was. Chicago had won the bid as the U.S. host city for the Olympics. Of course, it's not over yet -- Chicago still has to to go up against other cities like Madrid, Rome, and Tokyo ...

I gotta believe Chicago's got a good shot. After the announcement, I continued listening to the radio guys, and caller after caller after caller, who scoffed at the notion of Chicago hosting the games. They complained about possible tax increases to pay for the facilities, and the traffic mess the games would create, and the influx of people that would come to the city ...

I just rolled my eyes at all of it. Seriously people, where's the pride in showing off the city, and participating in such a magnificent global event!? Having the Olympic games in Chicago would be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. And you can bet if it happens, I'll be down there taking it in, even if it's just walking the streets to take in the atmosphere ...

No comments: