3.25.2007

Rock chalk blah, blah, blah

It had all the makings of a great Saturday night. I had a great day. Bought Ben Folds tickets. Had a good eye appointment. Watched this afternoon’s basketball game. Talked to my buddy T-Money. Took some batting practice …

And last night Kates and I joined some of my cohorts for a community trivia night. With all of our collective knowledge about pop culture, music, entertainment, current events and all things trivia, we’d been pumped to win it all week long … and we did, beating the other 10 teams, albeit by one point. We got 67 of a possible 75 points. Our prize was a gift certificate to Famous Dave’s -- hey, free meal!

Then, Kates and I headed home, me being hopeful for a Jayhawk birth in the Final Four. After all, they’d played so well throughout the tournament …

By the time we got home at almost 9, the game had ended, but thank goodness for DVR, I say …

Or not.

The Hawks didn’t look great in the first half, but I was having a good feeling that they’d put it together …

Then the second half …

Ugh…

It was a disaster that literally was painful to watch. No one in a Kansas jersey could hold onto the ball. They repeatedly dribbled into traffic like the UCLA players were wearing magnets. And when they did control the ball into the lane, they couldn’t hit from a foot away … Meanwhile, the Bruins were throwing up junk, and making their shots …

Let’s just say the couch cushion beside me took quite a beating. At times I was curled up in the fetal position. And when the game ended I was practically laid across our coffee table and covering my eyes … (I live and die watching the Jayhawks. A few years ago, when one of my favorite Kansas teams of all-time -- ah, the good ol’ Roy years -- couldn’t get past Syracuse for the championship, I ended up wrapped in a blanket from head to toe so that only my eyes were visible and part of the blanket was stuck in my mouth for chewing …)

I was telling people today that I was in mourning over the loss …

Thanks to Peyton Manning and the cast of SNL for easing my pain a little bit though … Last night’s SNL was one of the best of the season …

I give you two of the best, most HA-larious skits of the night ...



And this one -- I'm not sure what's funnier, Peyton's dancing or Bill Hader and the crew hiding their laughter in the background ...

No comments: