2.01.2007

The Perfect Storm


After the last couple days, and nothing pressing on TV last night, I figured the best thing I could do was settle into a good movie …

Boy did I ever.

I’d rented “The Perfect Storm” for a Sunday school lesson last weekend, but I’d never seen the whole film. Actually, I never was interested in seeing it. As far as I could tell, it was a trite action film about a boat caught up in a dangerous storm -- It looks dumb, I thought. Plus, I remembered the reviews being sort of critical too …

I couldn’t have been more wrong.

As it turned out, the film was a gripping true story of a rare storm system that hit the coast of Massachusetts in the fall of 1991. Though the plight of a fishing crew is the centerpiece of the film, it also has some equally-gripping side stories about a family that got caught in the storm on their sailboat and the Coast Guard's fight to rescue those trapped in the monstrous waters … There's a lot more to this film than just a storm …

I always know it’s a great film when I find myself clutching a couch pillow or tugging at my hair as I watch the story unfold …

… George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg, John C. Reilley, William Fichtner -- It was a the perfect cast for the boat crew. Diane Lane was memorable as Walberg’s beautiful girlfriend Chris, and Josh Hopkins was just a memorable as the Coast Guard Captain.

… I was out of breath when it was over. Great film. Very highly recommended. And be sure to watch the DVD’s special features, which include interviews with the people who actually lived through the storm, as well the secrets behind the making of the film ...

No comments: