5.08.2006

Biking it

... I went to work today on my bike.

... About 30 blocks in 15 minutes and riding about 80 percent of it alongside Lake Michigan, with the bright sun reflecting off it. And my 'Grey's Anatomy' music playlist going on my iPod...

... It's hard to think of a better way to start the morning ...

... And then I arrived at work and my buddy Brian reminded me that 'bike to work week' is next week. ... So I started early; I'm training, I told him.

... actually I kind of am training. My first baseball game is less than two weeks away ( ...tonight's practice was good, really good ...), I signed up to ride 50k in a diabetes bike run in less than two weeks, and at work, we're in the midst of our 'Corporate Cup Challenge' so I gotta earn points for my team ...

...What's the Corporate Cup Challenge, you ask? ... It's six weeks of competitive exercising. While we've divided into teams of four, we earn daily points individually for exercising and participating in fitness activities, eating lots of fruits and vegetables, not smoking, drinking lots of water, etc ... individual points are then added up for each team, and the standings are posted each week. Last week, the first week, my team - aptly named The Fitastic Four - logged 389 points. The closest team to us put up 294, thus beginning our obliteration of the rest of our company. Said one co-worker/opponent: 'What're you guys doing pushing your cars to work?' ... Nope. We're just making sure we earn the maximum points every day ... it also helps that one of my teammates is the workout queen at the YMCA.

Week Two standings will be posted tomorrow ...

No comments: