4.10.2006

Part of Americana ...

... So this morning, on my way to work I stopped at a convenience store for some flavored water.

... As I passed through the door, I was immediately met with a 20-something woman, laced with piercings and tattoos. She was pounding on a bathroom door telling someone -- who I later realized was her preschool-aged son -- to hurry up...

I ignored her. And went about my business, reaching into a cooler and selecting a grape-flavored water...

Then I met up with the young blonde, and now her son (who's curiously studying the security exit and lifting up the rug), at the checkout counter. I started paying more attention when I heard the girl mutter something to the cashier like 'What'd you think I was going to do steal it?' ...Then I watch her stuff a small package of crackers and a juice box into a paper lunch sack, snatch a pen from the cash register (without asking the cashier) and scribble the child's name on it.

...Obviously, he was having a cold lunch today ...

I paid for my water and was walking back to my car just in time to see the mom shove the kid into the backseat of her giant SUV ...

Any bets on whether he was even wearing a seat belt?

No comments: