12.12.2005

When Willy meets Charlie



If 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory' was a classic, I missed the boat ...

Remember, I was deprived of movies as a kid. And then as I grew older I had no interest in seeing 'Willy Wonka' and I never did see it. ... On the contrary, I could hardly wait to see Tim Burton's 'Charlie and the Chocolate Factory' this summer. And when we did see that, I loved every moment.

Tonight I realized why I never had any interest in the original. Add to that, I'm writing this entry without watching the last 10 minutes of it ...

On my lunch break today, I was flipping through channels and caught a commercial on ABC Family promoting a showing tonight of the orginal film with Gene Wilder. Now with an open mind and something to compare, I decided to tune in.

For what it's worth, Gene Wilder's performance in the original is adequate at best, and it's the only thing I found remotely intriguing to watch. Still Johnny Depp added so much more depth to the character. And while the blond-haired, blue eyed Willy may have been cute in the orginal, I didn't find myself feeling anywhere near as sympathetic for him as I did the more scraggly Willy in the new version.

Ugh. ... Tim Burton's version is soooooooooooo much better. Flat out. The updated version is so much more imaginative. The acting is better. The music is cooler. And the chocolate is thicker.

No comments: