12.16.2005

Dreamin'

So I had a dream this morning ...

I dreamt that I was reporter (for what paper or magazine, I never really figured out ...) on a special assignment to 'investigate' and review 'King Kong. ...For some reason this all took place in my former small hometown of Lake Mills on a sunny Sunday ...

The dream, as I remember it, began with me driving through the town and wanting to drive through my old neighborhood and past my old house, which is often the case when I visit there. But as I drove onto my old street and passed through the neighborhood, the houses I remembered were now gargatuan three-story, four-story Victorian monstrosities with their white and light yellow paint chipping away.

Then I was driving down the town's Main Street toward downtown. My purpose, it was made known, was to get to Greenwoods Bank to get some cash so I could see the movie. When I arrived in the downtown area, I found myself walking down this steep marble staircase onto a boulevard and park area that was bustling with people (none of this, of course, actually exists in Lake Mills) and towering over me was the Greenwoods Bank. I remember trying to ask people whether the bank was open, and thinking it would be odd if it was ... but hey, this whole dream was odd.

I went inside. Now I was suddenly dressed in a beige trenchcoat, wearing red latex gloves and carrying a black briefcase. I passed a security screening and followed a man into the lobby. But suddenly the man turned around -- and it was Matthew Broderick dressed as Inspector Gadget -- also carrying a brief case. He looked at me up and down curiously and snarled 'What're you doing here?!' Then I stuttered out, 'I'm here to investigate 'King Kong.' ... Apparently the answered sufficed because he went one way and I went the other.

The bright lights and '70s bank decor I remember inside Greenwoods was now a dimly lit lobby area that looked more like a mall then a bank. I looked to my left inside another room and saw several of my co-workers and their significant others getting tickets to the movies at a series of teller windows.

Meanwhile, my purpose was no longer to get cash. I took a seat at a desk area -- across from Russell Crowe -- and, without any direction, began filling out this grueling, multipage survey (the kind you get in high school asking about your drug or sexual activity, or as a professional you get asking about your health risks...). Russell and I struck up a coversation -- about, what I don't remember -- and in the background I could hear my editors uttering the same frustated feelings I was having about filling out this stupid survey when all we wanted to do was see the movie ...

And then I woke up.

There were other parts of this dream that are coming back to me that featured my father and driving through my college town and going to a movie rental store (We picked out the most recent 'Star Wars' movie, but my dad frowned on that) ...but I'm not remembering where these pieces fit with the larger dream ...

Interpretations anyone?

No comments: